Toxic substances in art materials

Toxic substances are part of everyday life in art studios around the world. It is one of the last taboos in the art world and one of the most dangerous. Many of these toxins are carcinogenic or trigger allergies. Artists suffer from asthma, allergies, dermatitis, multiple chemical intolerance, kidney or liver damage, or cancer because paints contain pesticides and chemicals, and almost all solvents, apart from water, are harmful.

Why artists who get sick from art materials are seldom heard?

Most of them are concerned with the effect and workability first. They act intuitively and only think about it later usually when they are already suffering from certain symptoms. And museums and collectors often do not know which substances these materials contain, nor do the recipients care. Artists have nothing to do with the creation process and are primarily interested in the effect of the work.

Which pigments in painting have a particularly toxic potential?

Cadmium red or yellow, for example, contains heavy metals. Real cinnabar is just as toxic, it consists of mercury sulfide. Pigments containing lead are rarely offered in powder form these days.

Solvents to which every painter is exposed

All chemical solvents have a sensitizing, toxic, nerve-damaging effect. Even if they are inhaled in low concentrations over a long period of time. It is strongly recommended for artists to wear a mask with a filter. Every art studio should have an explosion-proof poison cabinet with an integrated extraction system. However, not all artists have the financial means for it.

What to consider when buying paints

A lot has happened in the specialist trade but be careful when buying cheaper paints on the Internet or in hardware stores. Many don’t read the warnings if any. In addition, the table of contents is often difficult to translate for non-chemists. “Aromatics”, for example, sounds like fragrances, but they are dangerous chemical compounds. It is worth studying the laundry slip carefully just like studying https://99misi.co/ when gambling.

Why is asbestos so dangerous?

It forms tiny, invisible fibers. When you breathe, they are stored in the lungs and cause problems with mostly fatal results. The dust is particularly insidious in that the secondary diseases usually only break out 20 to 30 years later.